Result has been achieved on 30 July 2019 in month 10 of the project.
REDIFUEL has to be EN 590 compliant. To adjust the flashpoint of the hydroformylation product to EN 590 standard of at least 55 °C the product has to be distilled to separate substances that lower the flashpoint, especially paraffins. During this distillation the unwanted separation of short-chain alcohols, which have a similar boiling temperature than longer-chain paraffins, needs to be avoided to maximize product yield.
- Objective: To adjust the flashpoint of the hydroformylation product via distillation to comply with the EN 590 standard with minimum product loss.
- Research: Four different operation points of a distillation column were simulated at MPI leading to four different product compositions. These product compositions were prepared at OWI and their flashpoints were measured.
- Result: To fulfill the EN 590 flashpoint requirement the complete removal of paraffins out of the hydroformylation product via distillation is not necessary.
- What will it be used for: The results will be used for the design of a distillation process involved in the REDIFUEL production.
- Impact: A reduction in unwanted loss of short-chain alcohols owing to a merely partial removal of paraffins during the distillation process can be realized. Hence, the distillation process and thus the overall REDIFUEL production process will be more efficient.
Figure: Flashpoint measuring device OptiFlash: Determination of the flashpoint according to the Pensky Martens closed cup method (OWI)